Automation of Traffic Counting & Classification
What are the key challenges for automated traffic counting?
Below are the challenges that Datapath’s intelligent transportation system (ITS) team have discovered.
- Capturing traffic data at night (Normal cameras have limitation to capture traffic at low light conditions)
- No real-time counting (Requires video to be recorded and counting to be done later)
- Unable to capture multi direction. Some products only support single direction.
- Capturing traffic concurrently for multiple lanes
- Capturing traffic data during difficult weather conditions. (Rain may obstruct the camera view)
- Accuracy of counting and classification
FLIR ThermiCam addresses these challenges
ThermiCam is an integrated thermal camera and detector for vehicle, bicycle and pedestrian detection. ThermiCam does not need light to operate, but provides reliable traffic detection in the darkest of nights, over a long range and in the most difficult weather conditions, based on the thermal energy emitted from vehicles, bicyclists and pedestrians.ThermiCam’s algorithms are based on proven performance of more than 20 years.
FLIR is the world leader in the design, manufacture, and marketing of thermal imaging infrared cameras.
FLIR ThermiCam Game-Changing Features
Night or Difficult
FLIR ThermiCam detects long wave infrared light that is not visible by the human eye. Unlike visible light, in the infrared world, everything with a temperation above absolute zero (e.g. cars, people) emits heat. See sample screenshot above. The view doesn’t change regardless day/night/rain. This allows the ThermiCam to capture traffic data in total darkness.
Real-Time Traffic Collection
FLIR ThermiCam integrates both the camera and also the detector. This means the counting is done in real time and do not need to be processed at a later time.
Most roads have dual direction traffic. ThermiCam allows you to capture both directions with a single camera. ThermiCam can also detect wrongway drivers on highways, highway entries and exits, or inter-urban roads in a matter of seconds.
ThermiCam can give outputs and/or events when a change in the traffic flow (flow speed, zone occupancy, giving level of service (LOS)) is detected.
We are certified in FLIR Thermal Cameras and FLIR Enterprise Security Solutions
- FLIR Thermal Certified Professional
- FLIR Latitude VMS Certified
We're here to help.
If you are one of the following, do contact us to see how we can help you with automation of traffic data collection.
- Toll or highway operator
- Shopping mall or retail shop management
- Local council for town/road planning
- Road infrastructure professional
- or anyone who wants to know more!
Want to schedule a demo or POC? Need more resources? Want to schedule a meeting? Want to talk to our certified consultants?
Kindly fill up the quick form and we’ll get back to you in lightning speed!